Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do you handle life's tests?

It is constantly amazing to me how even the best laid plans can be circumvented by new things that crop up. For example, I was supposed to have a guest blog on my blog today. But, although I have sent several emails to her, she didn't respond, and I'm wondering if she ever got them. Of course, the only way to know would be for her to respond to those same emails!

Today, my plans for writing are simple: clear out the emails and pick up where I left off in my current work-in-progress. But, I am waiting to hear from my husband, who has been unemployed since the end of November, 2009. He is testing today for a job that he wants. So, even though I have great plans in my head, it is all overlaid with, "How well will he do?" The testing was supposed to take 2 hours, and it's been a little over that, so I guess no news is good news.

Although his testing is external to the house, I feel like I'm being tested to - do I have the mental fortitude to put to the side what I need to to concentrate on my writing? Or am I going to allow myself to be hamstrung by worrying about his testing?

I know, I know, this is one thing I should be thinking of, but I think you see my point.

How about you? Do you have things coming across your desk that aren't writing related, but are necessary to do/see/think/feel?

10 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

My writing is easily derailed by anything and everything that disturbs the tranquility of my writing space. I know that big-time executives, salesmen and others who can multitask probably wouldn't understand how I'm so easily pulled off course.

It might only be a routine afternoon meeting or the need to go pick up something at the store. Even good news distracts me, much less life's uncertainties.

Perhaps this is because I find it easier to enter the world of my imagination at times when the exterior world is more or less under control.

Malcolm

Katie Hines said...

Gosh, Malcolm, I know what you mean. It seems to me that it's been a long time since I've done anything meaningful on my WIP, keeping getting derailed by life.

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Katie,
This is a great post, because I have had to deal with family things frequently this month. My husband was hospitalized twice this month and it required me to change my writing times.

His health was impossible to ignore so I wound up writing about it. This month,April, is Poetry month and I write a poem a day. I post my poems in two places: Poetry Asides where I get the prompts, and my own blog. But I am a little behind since the time I would write was taken by visiting my husband. He is coming home today and that is going to change my schedule again.

I think what you have to do is fit writing into your schedule. It requires a change in your schedule, but if your writing is important to you then you do it:) Good luck to your husband!

Karen Cioffi said...

Katie,

I love the adage: What makes God laugh--telling Him your plans.

My husband and I are both on disability so life has a way of interrupting the best laid plans.

My philosophy: Take it as it comes as best you can and prioritize.

Unknown said...

Katie,
I just came from leaving a comment on another blog regarding things that bug me the most. I mentioned the very thing that happened to you today--people who schedule a spot on my blog then don't respond to reminders or submit their posts. I don't get it. They took time to book a day, so why not send a little email and say, I'm sorry, life interfered. Funny how the two topics fit into your theme today. :)

I write when I can...usually when my characters are in a talkative mood. I fit all the other necessities like bill paying, Farmville, Facebooking, and loop participation somewhere in between. Since I retired, I have much more time than most, but still it's not enough to do everything I plan to do in a day.

Anonymous said...

Kids can be a distraction, but I always take a moment to listen to their question. I never want them to feel that they cannot ask their daddy a questions.

STephen Tremp

Deb Hockenberry said...

Good article! I have several health issues so I just take one day at a time. Good luck to your husband with his job testing!

Margaret Fieland said...

Katie, thanks for your post. I have a day job, so my writing time is precious .. and all too liable to get eaten up by grocery shopping, cleaning the house, walking the dog, talking to my partner ...

I don't have a magic answer -- sometimes I do better than others. Bottom line is that, for me, anyway, prioritizing is difficult and kicking the debris out of my head takes work.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

You've got a good attitude, Katie. If just one stressed person reads your blog and comes away feeling better, then you should be proud. However, I suspect more than just one person feels better. Great job. Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, great blog post. I definitely let life get in the way of my writing far too many times. Sorry that your guest blog didn't happen. I hope good things came out of your husband's testing.